Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

So what is Julia's Closet?

"Julia's Closet" originated when I dehoarded my clothes closet last year. I lived in a tiny apartment with a large closet, 2 dressers, under bed storage, and far too much clothing to know what to do with. Sound familiar? My roommate called it "The Closet Game" and we got rid of anything that was too small, didn't fit at the moment, wasn't flattering on my figure, looked worn, or went out of style. I gave most of the dehoarded clothing (6 boxes) to one of my close girlfriends to go through; she kept what she wanted and donated the rest. 

As I watched my friend wear several of my favorite pieces - Club Monaco button down blouses, dresses, Express pants, jeans, and sweaters, etc etc, I fell in love with the idea that we could share our closets and share stylish pieces that once made us happy. Our "Closet Game" later developed into a clothing swap with a bunch of my girlfriends where in the end, we all ended up with a lovely new wardrobe. 

Here's a tip: if you have a lot of clothing that you don't wear, have a clothing swap with your friends where you each dehoard your closet and bring it to swap. It's more fun with appetizers and a few glasses of wine.

I'm the kind of person that loves a deal and will rarely pay full price for anything. Buffalo Exchange and Second Time Around are two of my favorite consignment stores in Boston that have a variety of clothes, designers, and styles at excellent prices. The best thing is that no one would ever know that a good portion of my wardrobe was purchased on consignment. My most recent purchase was a leather Coach bag from Second Time Around for $50 with the dust bag still on it. Can't get better than that. 

If anyone has any other consignment stores that they love, please post and let's keep up the tradition of The Closet Game. 

Happy Tuesday, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment