Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ah, the mid-week shlump.

What's a shlump, you may ask? Urban dictionary defines it as "The act of leaning with one's back against a smooth surface, and sliding down while keeping one's feet in the same place such that the knees finish tucked into the chest." I define it as "the middle of the week where one begins a slow, but steady decrease in energy and enthusiasm for one's job prior to the weekend." And shlump is more fun to say than "slump." Try it. "Shlump."

In an effort to keep my own energy from decreasing as the week winds down for most people (but not me! I'm working this weekend and therefore don't really get a weekend) I did a work out from "Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred." Man, that woman makes you work.  I've been a dancer for 20 years, and rarely have I felt as physically exhausted after 20 minutes of dance as I have with one workout from 30 Day Shred. And that's only level 2. Oy. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that.

Because I work in the psychology field, I think I have a natural tendency to wonder why society follows certain trends and not others, and why some things become "trendy" at certain points in time. For example, right now, it is trendy to work out. Various stores have popped up with yoga and work out clothes, people sit in front of their tv's for an hour and watch overweight people work out (I'll never understand this one, sorry if I'm offending anyone reading this), and yoga and zumba become increasingly popular across many generations. I suppose this exercising trend is better than...let's say the acid-washed jeans of the 80's. Who knows, maybe acid-washed jeans will make a come back and I'll stand corrected.

Do you work out? And if so, what do you like to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment