Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

My Makeup Closet

Hope folks had a great Passover/Easter weekend!

Keeping with the theme of "Julia's Closet," let me open up my makeup "closet" to you. I'm a makeup artist who believes in enhancing natural beauty. I don't like the idea of covering up your face in a mask. Recently, I've been seeing a lot of pictures of models before and after makeup, and before and after Photoshop. I'll never understand why we feel the need to cover ourselves in a mask to create this "perfect" image. What is perfection? That'll be a separate discussion. Anyway, what we see in magazines isn't real - it's enhanced and more on the side of artificial. The worst part is that young women are comparing themselves to the models that they see in magazines and are disappointed when they don't see a reflection of airbrushed perfection. 

As a makeup artist, I use Motives by Loren Ridinger and Motives for La La. La La Anthony partnered with Shop.com and helped create a makeup line for Latina women and women of color.

I've been using Motives Cosmetics for years and I love them because they come in so many great colors, are non-comedogenic, and last all day. The "lasting all day" part really does it for me because I'm usually on the go for 16+ hours per day and don't have time to fix my makeup.

One of my favorite products of theirs is the Perfecting Face Primer because it creates an even canvas for my makeup. I always use a moisturizer and then put the primer on top before applying dabs of foundation. I've been a makeup junkie for a long time, have tried several different lines of makeup, and have really found this one to last all day and not clog my pores. Here's a tip: if you want to match your foundation correctly, match it to the dorsal (top) part of your hand (not the palm). 

In the past month, I've added a blush-bronzer duo to my makeup collection, this stuff is really amazing because it adds a bit of color to those of us who are pale this time of year, and doesn't create an orange line separating your face from your neck, as though you're channeling your inner oompa loompa. My recommendation: try it, you'll love it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment